Tuesday 12 November 2013

OUGD504 - Progression Crit

Design for Print/Design for Web Crit 2

For this crit we were put into groups of six and also had a tutor (Lorraine). Like the last crit we were given a few minutes each to talk through our two briefs and talk about any queries and concerns we had, as well as getting feedback in terms of the concept/design ideas.

Design for Print
For this crit I brought along my new concept for helpful information for new students at LCA, producing a couple of print outs of the flowcharts I have been creating, and talking about the supporting material which will go with them.
Overall the group was positive about my concept, a lot more positive than in my last crit. They thought the concept of flowcharts was an interesting one and was genuinely useful, especially if they were to be put in the right places, near the technology/processes they are associated with.
I was told to think more about the supporting materials and the form in which these will take, maybe thinking about something more interesting than standard booklets/leaflets.

Design for Web
I also brought along my new concept for the website, looking into the evolution of the alphabet instead of into hand drawn type.
I got a positive response to the minimalist layout design and simplicity of it, however it was mentioned that it is hard to know exactly what the website is about, so a small description or 'about' section will be useful to include.
In reference to content, it was said that I need to focus it down and read over the research and pick out the important points to write about and make it relevant and worth knowing instead of just writing content for the sake of writing it. It was suggested that I look into why the alphabets are the way they are and why people needed the alphabets in their times.

Overall I found this crit was a lot more positive than the last and did help me in reaffirming that I had made the right choice changing both of the ideas in the way I have. The feedback was constructive and definitely something I will consider when designing further material for both briefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment