Tuesday 5 November 2013

OUGD504 - Peer Interim Crit/Study Task 7

Design for Print/Design for Web - 5/11/13
In this crit we were put into groups of about 8 and given a couple of hours to go round and talk about our project concepts and design decisions, and then criting each other. In our group we decided to talk about Design For Print first as we thought this brief was more important for the minute, and then do a quick crit for Design For Web at the end for those who wanted it.

Design for Print
I presented my initial ideas for my brief, which was to create a book containing all the information a new designer would need to know about designing for print and information on how to design for print, with tips and illustrations to show print processes etc.
I showed my initial design ideas, showing the two completely opposite ideas I had for the overall aesthetic of the book; the first being a more playful & hand drawn aesthetic which largely played on screen printing, with packaging that highlights this. The second is a completely digital look with a very clinical & clean approach.
Overall the reaction to the first idea was positive, especially for the packaging, however it was commented on that I hadn't narrowed the research down because I hadn't chosen a specific audience. As I had gone for a broad audience, it is hard to narrow the research down, so I had planned to make a book including everything.
At the time I didn't think this crit was successful as it made me question every design decision I had made until this point, however in hindsight it has had a positive affect because it has made me think a lot more about who this will be aimed at, why, and what they would need it for.

Design for Web
I presented my plans for a website on hand-drawn type, and like the crit for print, audience was brought up again. Who would want to go on the website, and what would they expect/want to find on it?
Initial thoughts were that they liked the layout design I had done for the homepage, but needed to think more about the content I was using on the website and why I was using it. To do this I need to go back to my research and look over it, research further and decide exactly what needs to be included and have a good reason for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment