Friday 1 November 2013

OUGD502 - A Design Strategy: Session 1

1. Consider your First Year and what you feel were the highlights in your College Career so far as Graphic Design is Concerned?
I think that the highlights of my year were in the skills I learnt and how quickly I learnt them. I have always been quite a fast learner, so to have the software inductions quite early into the year gave me the time and ability to improve my skills in these programs and be able to use them to produce a good result for each brief.
On top of this, I think that the highlight of my year was definitely creating the Speaking For Experience book for the OUGD406 last brief. I found that this brief was completely self driven and with the idea that I could do whatever I wanted in a way that I wanted to.

2. Document of your PPP Blog, the main events of your Summer Break. Reflecting on your Summer, what is your most memorable event and why?
I have to say my summer was fairly uneventful. I spent the majority of it just relaxing and catching up with friends who I hadn't seen in a while as they are all away at different universities.
I also started my driving lessons finally, which I suppose is my most memorable event because I took to it quickly, starting at the end of June, and am aiming to pass my test by the end of the year.

3. Have you made any Contacts over the Summer that you feel could be helpful over the coming year or so and what outcomes do you feel achieved? How did you meet/ contact these Contacts (methods used or how it happened)?I have a contact who is the owner of a design company - PFComms in London. I did a couple of days down there last summer, however didn't do any this year. I probably should have done, but didn't take the opportunity. In terms of making new contacts, I haven't. I did start looking into studios around the country for ones that I am interested in and might want to visit.

4. If you didn't make any contacts, why? (Working? Holiday? Commitments?)
I'm not particularly good at talking to new people, so this fear definitely held me back. I also think that I would be better speaking to designers when I am in my second year and am a bit more experienced in the field and know what I'm talking about/doing a bit more. I think confidence in myself as a designer would be key in these kinds of situations, and I don't have that yet.

5. What methods of contacting creatives can you think of?
  • Email
  • Letter
  • Phonecall
  • Skype
  • Visit
  • Behance/Linkedin/Social Media
  • Speak to visiting lecturers
  • Spend a promo pack
  • Design events/exhibitions/fairs
  • Inviting them to college
6. What would you ask these creatives?
  • What do you look for in a graduate?
  • What do you look for in an undergraduate for a placement/internship?
  • What are the most important skills to have when trying to find one of these?
  • How did you get your first job in the industry?
  • What do you look for when given a brief? What interests you?
  • What sorts of projects do you enjoy? What kinds of projects do you take on?
  • Do you prefer large jobs or quick ones?
  • Can I visit?
  • If the visit goes well - Can I have a placement?
  • How should I best promote myself as a designer?
  • What other studios are you like/Who else do you know that I can get in contact with?

No comments:

Post a Comment