Monday 27 October 2014

OUGD603 - Group Crit

Today we had a crit where we were split into groups and had to present our work up to this point. As we are all working on completely different projects with different timescales it made for quite an interesting crit. Before this we were all on the same sort of timescales and briefs, so the content was all quite similar, but now as we are all writing our own briefs and self directing it, it makes things a lot more open and feedback is different.

In preparation for this I looked over the work that I had done up to this point on my Italian Bakery/Cafe and decided that this would be a good point to present it at and get some feedback, especially because I wanted to resolve it within the week.

I printed off the bakery and cafe menus as well as the brand guidelines, and presented them to size and how I was thinking of doing the covers at this point.

Printed booklets

I printed these all as booklets, and have the intention of binding them in this format at this point

I also created three boards on the other work I had done which wasn't printed. I decided that instead of making them all look through the brand guidelines, I'd create a board which showed the main points to the branding. I also created a board for the website, and one for promotion.

While I hadn't done any work on promotion at this point, I had a general idea of what I wanted so created a few quick digital mock ups of the direction I wanted to go in.

Boards:



I said that I intended to resolve the brief imminently once I had sorted the packaging designs, however feedback was that I shouldn't do that because it would be a good brief to extend out a bit longer and make a large body of work for. This is something that I do want to do, however I do need to consider other briefs that I want to start and have finished for the Interim Deadline on December 11th.

Feedback on what I had up to this point was positive and I was given some good feedback in terms of the final presentation and photography of the products. They said what I had been thinking myself about how the final photography should be, with including items which fit in with the branding, such as chopping boards/coasters/bread etc.

In terms of printing the covers for my publications, it was said that I should spend some time to consider the stock I want to use as well as the binding method as this would be important in the choice of stock and presentation of the book. Foil blocking was suggested, as was embossing. I think that I do want to definitely consider the idea of foiling as this means I can consider a wider stock choice than I have if I was just digitally printing.

Overall I found that the crit was useful and helpful. I found that a lot of what was said was things that I was already considering but not sure about, so that reaffirmed my ideas of the print productions to undertake.

No comments:

Post a Comment