Friday 17 October 2014

OUGD602 - Update

Portfolio
Today my printed portfolios arrived. I ordered 10 of them, and they've all come in very good quality and the stock works really well. They look pretty professional and I'm happy with the way they've turned out.

Right now my focus is to create some sort of packaging element for this portfolio. I don't want to just send the book as it is. I want to create something to hold the book, and perhaps more collateral that I want the receiver to have. One thing I definitely need to make is a business card. I also think I need to include a sort of cover letter of sorts to include in the packaging as something for the receiver to read and know why I've sent this portfolio to them. It seems a bit more direct than just sending a portfolio and waiting for a reply.

This cover letter is something that I can easily print myself, so I think it would be good to make this quite personal and directed at the studio/agency who will receive the pack. That way it makes it obvious to them that I haven't just done a big generic send out to a couple of dozen studios and hoped for the best. They will see that I have picked them as a studio to send to because I like their work and am interested in their practice.

99Designs
I had decided that as I was back at uni, I wouldn't continue with 99Designs as I only did it over summer to keep my design skills going and to make a bit of cash.

One of the contests - The Woodshop, which was included in my blog post about the summer - the client hadn't chosen a winner, however I got an email from the client saying he'd decided to choose my design and wanted to make a few tweaks to it before moving onto offering me some more work.

The Woodshop:

The design above is the one chosen as the winner. I am quite surprised that I was chosen because the client didn't choose one at the time of the contest, which was over a month ago, so to get an email and find I've won the contest is a surprise, but a welcome one. I enjoyed this brief and creating the outcome, so it's great to see that the work is appreciated. The offer of more work is great too because it means that I can include it in OUGD602/3 if the work is substantial enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment