Tuesday 14 October 2014

OUGD603 - Brief Update

Today I decided to review my briefs as we have been given the brief plan for the year. Following the PPP presentation and my current work, I have been thinking a lot about the briefs I have and why I have chosen them.

I think that the majority are strong in terms of what I want to do, however I think that a couple could do with a rethink in terms of the content and context. The main briefs that I am wanting to change are the typographical ones.

While I like the idea of setting up an event, doing this isn't actually something that I am really excited by. I had initially written the brief as a way of learning hand drawn type, however I don't think that this brief is the best way for me to do this.

I have decided that instead of an event I will join a brief to the hand-drawn type book, creating a big two part brief.

The first part will be '30 Days' - a brief to create 30 pieces of hand drawn type in 30 days.

Following this I will create a hand drawn type publication around the previous part.

This way I can learn hand drawn type skills, practice them over a period of time, and create a publication.

Something that I will need to consider is that my skills will get better as they go along, so by the time I get to creating the publication, depending on what the theme/concept is, I may have to redo some of the previous hand drawn typography so it is cleaner and more professional. However I don't think that this is something to think about at the moment.

The main thing I need to think about is if 30 days is enough time to create 30 pieces of hand drawn type. I want to try and aim for this, however depending on the specific design I am doing at the time, it may need to be a longer timescale.

Updated Briefs:

Brief plan:

I am feeling much more confident in the briefs I have now. I think that they all work well together and with CoP, and are in the direction that I want to move in as a designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment