Monday 29 October 2012

OUGD403 - Self Evaluation: Illustrator Typeface

This is the brief that I was most excited about, but least looking forward to, just because Illustrator is a program that I have not used before, but the idea of learning it and finally being able to create images and work using it was the exciting aspect of this.

I have used Illustrator before, but only very recently and very little, just using the pen tool for less than half an hour while working on a project last year. I found that my skills developed quickly in these sessions and my previous understanding of a couple of the tools and Photoshop helped a lot.

At first I didn't see how I could use Illustrator to create the typeface I wanted, but after a couple of the sessions I found it was very easy, a lot easier than I thought it ever would be. However, I think this is down to the fact that the letters I created weren't overly different from the originals as my word was shatter. It meant I could create the letters without having to change the characteristics of the original typeface, just cutting and shattering it instead.

I think my typeface turned out well and stuck to what I wanted to do. It was an easy process once I knew exactly what I was doing, which led to me creating the lowercase for the typeface too. I found it very successful in the end, but next time I would perhaps use a more experimental typeface. I would also think about the anatomy of type and how the typefaces are created in relation to the sizing and heights of parts of the letters. Luckily it does not look like I haven't considered this, but there are a couple of letters that I perhaps would change now that I have thought about this.

Overall I found that this was a very useful process and I am now confident in using the pen tool and a few of the other tools that we were shown. I have already started using it in the other projects and am learning to use the other tools slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment