Monday 23 March 2015

OUGD602 - Studio Brief 3: Second Year Reflection

In the first PPP session of the second year, the task was given to write down 10 things that I wanted to achieve in the year.

Task: Pick out 10 successful traits that I want to explore & expand upon this year
  1. Continue to develop my skills and use of digital software; Photoshop, Illustrator & Indesign
  2. Learn how to create websites and experiment in this media
  3. Create work in a variety of different media, such as screen printing, drawing & use of the laser cutter.
  4. Begin to incorporate different processes on the same piece of work instead of sticking to one media throughout. Perhaps combing drawing and digital etc.
  5. Experiment with scale, particularly large scale.
  6. Spend more time on research in briefs to get a fuller understanding in my outcome and the reasons for it. Expand on my methods of collecting research.
  7. Start to use hand-rendered design work instead of relying solely on digital all the time
  8. Continue to develop my interest in editorial work and book binding.
  9. Gain a fuller understanding into the history of graphic design, particularly in typeface design and history.
  10. Work of essay writing.

In reflection of these points, I think I completed all of them to an extent, with a larger focus on some than others. For example, I definitely developed my interest in editorial work and book binding (7), doing this quite a lot throughout the year. However, points like incorporating different processes on the same piece of work (4), this was done to an extent and no necessarily fulfilled in the way which I had originally intended when written.

Practical Work

What did I enjoy?
In terms of the modules enjoyed, I particularly enjoyed the more Practical modules this year, with Responsive (503) and the final practical module (505) being the ones which I felt really developed me as a designer in both skill and confidence.

OUGD503
This module was the one which I definitely got the most out of. Initially I was a bit hesitant about this module as it was all about working in the professional world and putting my work out there for everyone and anyone to see. This is obviously very daunting, however I decided that the best thing to do was to quickly throw myself into it and get used to it as much as possible as there was a minimum of 5 live briefs to complete, as well as one major competition brief, and a collaborative competition brief.

After throwing myself into it, I quickly found my feet and found myself much more confident in presenting ideas to potential clients through the use of 99Designs. While this is not necessarily the best way to create good work, it was the easiest in terms of meeting the 5 live briefs requirement. I found that I was quickly enjoying the process and was getting positive feedback for work, which is always a confidence booster.

The brief I enjoyed the most in this module was the main competition brief I completed - Domino's Pizza for YCN. While the final concept created was not as solid as it could have been, I think the final design work was good and I got a good response from everyone who saw it. I enjoyed working with someone else's brand image and creating new concepts and work around this.

OUGD505
I found that this module was the one where my skills developed the most, especially when it came to applying a concept over a variety of outcomes to create a full brand etc. It is also the module which really opened me up to the idea of generating research and then creating an outcome from this in the first project of this module - creating a 16 page publication on my research topic. I thoroughly enjoyed this and found that the final outcome was strong.

The main project of this module which I enjoyed was the following project in creating a substantial outcome from the content in the publication. This was where I was able to work over a variety of outcomes and create both print and web designs, as well as create proposals for large-scale promotional material


What did I dislike?
There are a couple of project in this second year which I disliked. The first is the first project of the year - Design For Print. While the processes I completed during this project were enjoyable, I didn't enjoy the creation of my final outcome and didn't feel that it represented me as a designer. I was told a lot that I should move away from creating a book, something everyone was told in an effort o let us explore other options and see if there are other ways to work. However I definitely know that the best thing I could have done was create a book, and definitely regret not trusting my own instinct to move forward with this. The final outcome isn't something I'm proud of, and I do think it is now a wasted opportunity for what could have been a really good piece of design.

The second brief I disliked was the final project of creating a movie poster. I found this a bit of a waste of time, especially given I really disliked the content I was given, and the parameters given to complete this. I think that these really made me completely disengaged with the project and not bothered about the outcome at all.

The third project I disliked this year was the practical side of COP. In the previous year I had created something that I didn't really like, but it hit the criteria. This year I had planned on doing something that I was really enthusiastic about, however I found that the outcome wasn't something I was incredibly proud of and he execution of the brief could have been much better. Overall this project is a write-off and something that I even forget that I did.


What did I learn?
Produce a full concept across a variety of media past just one final outcome.
Manual Printing Techniques
Theoretical type/letterform history
What I enjoy to work with to create a good and confident outcome


What did I learn about myself?
Enjoy creating a large variety of outcomes for one brief
Enjoy branding & promotional work
I know what kind of design I am good at and what kind of outcome will bring out the best in my design skills
Heavily digitally driven
Enjoy creating outcomes for web as well as print
Enjoy typography design and typeface design


Overall I think the second year was successful in teaching me a lot about myself as a designer and how I like to work, however I do think that the majority of the work created is not anything I am too proud or bothered about - especially the work from the beginning of the year. I think there are a couple of projects which are strong, but past that, the work is nothing I like. My interest in typography has definitely increased through this year and my skills in this area are much more developed and confident.


As part of second year reflection, I also looked back at the summer progress post I had written at the beginning of the year as this is a large reflection of the work completed in the summer between second and third year - Link

No comments:

Post a Comment