Monday 2 March 2015

OUGD602 - DBA Capital North

The DBA came in and presented us with a live brief in which we had to collaborate in groups to create an identity for the Northern Powerhouse under the name 'Capital North' - the unity and connection of four Northern cities - Hull, Liverpool, Leeds and Manchester.

Initially I was quite apprehensive about this brief as it was group work and a live brief. The previous live brief I did, I didn’t enjoy much at all due to the subject I was given, however I decided to keep an open mind about this as it was quite an open brief in terms of what the deliverables are and seemed like an interesting subject to work wih.

I wanted to work with people I hadn’t before, and I went through with this in the group I worked in. I found that this was a really good experience as it was good to see other people’s ideas and concept approaches. I think that we worked well together as a group as we had a variety of skills and each could put in our own individual contribution.

The final outcomes we produced were very different to how the brief started and to how I usually work, but I was very happy with this as this brief gave me a chance to really push my skills in vector illustrations and mocking up designs from scratch instead of using a downloadable file from the internet. This brief pushed my technical skills to a more professional level in this aspect.

The biggest surprise for me in this brief was my ability to create some strong and consistent illustrations. I had initially said I didn’t want to do the illustrations as I had not ever really worked in this style before and wouldn’t want to pull the standard of the project down, however when time became an issue and I helped in this, I found that it was much easier than I thought and I was much better at it than I thought, creating some illustrations that I was proud of and matched up to the standard of the others created.

Something I think we found hard as a group was creating a solid concept. Every time we thought we had one, we found the holes in it and ended up back where we started. However, when we finally did reach a certain and solid concept, it was strong and was definitely worth all of the hard work for. Once this was sorted I think we found it quite easy to create designs for it and expand this over the collateral that was asked for.

In terms of our outcomes, I think what we did was good and was very different to all the other groups, something that I think we were happy and proud to do. While we necessarily didn’t have enough time to fully explore what we could have done and push this far, I do think we did a good job and can be proud of what we did.

In reflection, I can say that I did enjoy the brief in terms of the design work. I think we can all agree that we found it hard up until that point, but keeping in constant communication and making time for meetings really aided in the development of this brief, which did result in a strong concept and strong visuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment