Tuesday 16 December 2014

OUGD602 - Studio Brief 2: Portfolio/Self Branding Update

As I am now at a stage where OUGD603 has been handed in for an interim submission and my COP3 module is going well, I decided that I needed to focus on my portfolio again for a few days as I feel it is already in need of an update.

Current Portfolio


While I was happy with the portfolio, I do feel there are obvious improvements to be made and it could be redesigned to suit me much more. I don't feel like the content in it shows off my range of skills as well as it could, and now that I have done a couple of months in the third year and have produced some new work, it would be good to include these also instead of some of the other projects which I am less sure about.

Another thing I want to improve upon is the CV side to the portfolio. I wasn't particularly happy with it in the previous portfolio and I do always find this a bit hard to do well.

The main thing that I want to do is put across my interests and what I am good at. The first thing that I want to do to do this is to create my own typeface to use for this portfolio, and use it as a part of my branding.

Over the past few months, due to my COP, I have had a much bigger interest in typography and now have a much better understanding in how typefaces are constructed and how the letters relate to one another. I think that this knowledge is beneficial to creating my own typeface and I now feel confident to do so.

I have previously created around six or seven different typefaces, however I have never really used them much, unless designed specifically for a project. I want to create a typeface that I am happy to use across a range of materials, and use to create my own logo design and branding.


Content
The first thing I did was look over my current portfolio and make a list of all the projects which are currently in it, and which ones I was unsure about having in there or don't want to have in there anymore.

Projects in Portfolio
  • YCN Domino's Pizza
  • The Evolution of the Alphabet
  • Ampersandwich
  • YCN Oasis
  • Air Jordan Publication
  • Top 10 NBA Players Exhibition
  • Courtside Typeface
  • Finding Vegan App - Client Brief
  • The Family Postcard Logo - Client Brief
  • Mike Marshall Logo - Client Brief
  • The Woodshop Logo - Client Brief
  • Massage Williamsburg Logo - Client Brief
  • The Soul House Logo - Client Brief
  • Classic Quality Meal Service Logo - Client Brief
  • Wheatless & More Identity - Client Brief
Projects I am unsure about/Want to take out
  • The Evolution of the Alphabet
  • Amersandwich
  • YCN Oasis
There are three big projects which I don't want to include anymore because I don't feel they best show off my abilities, mainly because they are all at least six months old, and I have moved on a huge amount in the way I design now.

I have two projects which I would like to include now from OUGD603 - Typography Principles Publication, and 30 Days - the 30 days of hand drawn type.

I think I could also structure the content better and create sections depending on the brief itself. I also want to include some of the typefaces I have previously created as it will show my interest and capabilities in typography design.

With this included it gives me four sections for the portfolio - About Me, Projects, Typefaces & Client Briefs. This will show off a range of work in each of the sections and show what I am capable of as a designer.

Including client briefs also shows that I have communicated with a client and fulfilled work for them, working in a professional manner instead of just having university set work. It shows independence, and that I have completed a variety of different jobs for clients - e.g. an App for FindingVegan, and an identity for Wheatless & More.

Below is a list of the content I want to include in the sections.

Projects
  • YCN Domino's Pizza
  • Air Jordan Publication
  • Top 10 NBA Players Exhibition
  • Typography Principles
  • 30 Days
Typefaces
  • Courtside Typeface
  • + 3 other typefaces created
Client Work
  • Finding Vegan App
  • Logofolio - a folio of logo designs created for clients
  • Wheatless & More Identity
Overall this gives me a total of 11 projects and a logofolio with a variety of client logo designs created. I am unsure whether I need another project in the 'projects' section. The only thing that I have noticed is that apart from the 'Finding Vegan App', I don't really have any digital work. This was originally the 'Evolution of the Alphabet' project's job in showing that, however I really don't think that shows off the best of my ability at all, so I need to think about if there is something I want to include to substitute this.

No comments:

Post a Comment