Monday 27 May 2013

OUGD402 - Design Strategy 1 Presentation

For the final part of this module, I have to put together a seven minute presentation, summing up my time on the course so far and who I am as an individual and designer.
To start with, I thought it was key to look over my time of the course in the outcomes I have produced for each brief. This allows me to see exactly how I have improved and what I have learnt throughout my time on this course.

Summer Brief


OUGD403 - Design Skills
Alphabet Soup

Typeface
Illustrator
Message & Delivery

OUGD404 - Design Principles
Birth of a Font
10 things:
OUGD405 - Design Process
Product
How To... (Group)
OUGD401 - COP
From Theory To Practice
OUGD406 - Design Practice
Live brief
Communication Is A Virus (Group)
Speaking From Experience

From looking over these and looking over the questions posed to answer in the presentation I decided to separate it into 11 areas in which will fully explain who I am as a designer, where my design came from, how I have progressed and who I want to be in the future as a designer.
  1. About me
  2. Past Influences
  3. Current Influences
  4. What have I learnt?
  5. Strengths
  6. Weaknesses
  7. Enjoyed
  8. Disliked
  9. Mistakes
  10. Future Development
  11. What have I got from this year?
Past Influences
  • David Carson
  • Jarrik Muller
  • Mike Perry
  • Craig Ward
  • Alan Kitching
  • Koen Taselaar
  • Ben Allen
  • Lichtenstein
  • Pollock
  • Experimental Jetset
  • Buro Destruct
Current Influences
  • The Official Manufacturing Company
  • The Bravo Company
  • Experimental Jetset
  • Dave Sedgewick
  • Dan Cassaro
  • Josip Kelava
  • BVD
  • Why Not Associates
  • Pentagram
  • Axel Peemoeller
  • Gen.A
  • Neo Neo
  • Project Projects
  • Madison Graphics
  • Komboh
What have I learnt?
  • Letter press, Lino, woodblock printing.
  • Illustrator, InDesign.
  • Design Principles - Type, Grids & Layouts, Colour Theory, Semiotics.
  • Stock matters
  • How to do effective design sheets
  • The five areas of design - Information, Retail, Packaging, Branding, Editorial.
  • Time management
  • Blogging
  • To welcome constructive criticism
  • Learn from mistakes
  • Research is key
Strengths
  • Final outcome
  • Book binding & Editorial
  • Digital print
  • Colour theory
  • Grids & layout
  • Type
  • Experimentation & variation
Weaknesses

  • Information Graphics
Enjoyed

  • Larger briefs
  • Speaking for Experience
  • COP practical brief
  • Grids & Layouts
  • Type orientated briefs
  • Editorial work
Disliked

  • Group briefs
  • Live briefs
  • Information Graphics brief
Mistakes

  • Not using more hand rendered work
  • Going straight to the computer each time I get a brief
  • Spending little time planning
  • Not doing work on a larger scale
  • Not utilising the facilities at the university - Laser cutting & screen printing
Future Development
  • Incorporate hand rendered work & digital work
  • Experiment in branding, packaging & promotional design
  • Using the print facilities more
  • Work on typography more
What have I got from this year?
  • A clearer understanding into the Graphic Design world and how it works
  • A defined understanding in the areas of design
  • An understanding into the principles of Colour theory, Grid & layout design & type design
  • An opportunity to experiment and play around with all fields of graphic design
  • How research is key and how to go about collecting this research
  • An experience into how other designers my age work and the wide variety of design
Final Presentation

No comments:

Post a Comment