Tuesday 16 April 2013

OUGD404 - End of Module Evaluation

1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
In this module I have developed skills on typography, colour theory, semiotics, layout & grid, and contextual skills into the theories and work behind each of these headings.
I think I have applied each well, as is shown in the final outcome '10 thing...' book, particularly layout & grid which I think are the strongest point of my work throughout this module. Learning about typography and it's phases and anatomy has also been key to a lot of work in other modules and have definitely helped my understanding and practical use of it.


2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
I have taken a much more planned method of design production. I have started to take into consideration the use of grid and formatting instead of just doing it without and trying to make it look good. This has definitely had the biggest impact on my work.
Colour theory has also helped as it has made me consider the colours I am using together and make an informed decision on these now. Semiotics is something that has helped me when looking into infographics and working in this area, and I feel this is a key area of graphic design.


3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
I think my strengths definitely lie in layout and grid work, as well as working with typography. Layout is something that came easily to me, a lot more now I understand the background and rules to it, and I think it has definitely shown in my work.


4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?
The weaknesses in my work is to do with lack of contextual research and work when carrying out a brief. I tend to just go for the practical side instead of research into something first and getting better ideas. In the future I am going to take the time to do some contextual work first so that the final results don't need to be modified as much/changed when a better idea come along from looking at research.


5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

  1. Pay more attention to colour theories and completely understand them before undertaking the experiments that come with it.
  2. When creating a typeface from an experiment with one letter, I need to take the rest of the letter forms into consideration before deciding to do it.
  3. Consider using semiotics more in work. I don't really use them at all, and I may benefit from it.
  4. Take typefaces & point sizes into consideration when working with body text. This is important for readability and something I have overlooked.
  5. Use a variety of stocks when experimenting with printing.





No comments:

Post a Comment