Wednesday 30 January 2013

OUGD405 - Self Evaluation: Postcards

As Photoshop is a program I have been using for a long time, I found this brief to be very easy and quick to do. The restraints of only using this program made it a lot more limited than I liked though. I had gotten so used to using Illustrator and having clean cut vectors that coming back on Photoshop and using it in this sort of fashion was a little irritating to say the least - which was strange to me because before starting with Illustrator on Summer, Photoshop is all I used.
The shape I was given was circle, so after taking photographs, I decided to base the postcards on fire extinguishers as they are circles when looking down at them, but not so obvious when looking directly at them. I thought it was a good idea because even though you might look at it and it isn't obviously a circle, you know it is.
I found that cleaning up and sharpening up the photographs was easy enough, however, when it comes to editing the images to create the postcards, certain filters/effects can make the image look very tacky, so it took some time to get through them to find the ones that looked good and suited the image.
I initially settled with a red filter on them, but found them as a set to be quite boring as they were all the same essentially. So I then started to experiment with other filters and textures I could put over the top to make them all interesting, in the same style, but not repetitive.
In the end, after using a crinkled paper effect and a colour layer, I created the five. I printed them on a off white/almost orange colour piece of paper to see if it would have any affect on the colours printed. I am happy with them, but do think that I could do them better. I don't fully feel happy with them as I don't feel they are really that creative. However, I do think they have fulfilled the brief and at least shown a range of my skills on the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment